Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lost in Ang Mo Kio - In search of the Lychee Martini cake

I decided last night that I want to have lychee cake for my birthday as I love lychee! I did a search on the net to see whether there are any shops selling them. Lychee might not be a popular choice for cake fillings, but surprisingly there are 2 shops in Singapore selling lychee cakes. They are Bread Talk's Lychee Little and Pine garden's Lychee Martini Cake.

As there are more people recommending Pine Garden's lychee martini cake and it was even featured in ST's Urban, so I decided to give it a try. According to the Urban's article, Pine Garden is a neighbourhood cake shop that is located at Ang Mo Kio Ave 10. I have no idea where is the place, so early in the morning I had called them up to ask for directions. They are located at Blk 529, Ang Mo Kio Ave 10, #01-2369.

I was told to take bus 88 and to alight at the fourth bus stop. Hmm, bus 88, an auspicious start.


As directed, I got off at the fourth bus stop. However, Blk 529 was no where to be seen... If there are any HDB or LTA officers reading this, please simplify the roads and streets of Ang Mo Kio!!! Goodness, besides naming the roads with confusing avenue numbers, they have additional street number what and what. The signs were so useless and I was so lost...

Called back again to ask for directions. They asked if I would buy a lot from them, before directing me on the right track. Am thinking to myself that the cake better worth all these trouble. The only plus point of getting lost was finding a Singapore Pool store. I thus stopped to buy some Toto for tomorrow's mooncake 5 million draw. This might be a blessing in disguise. Hee Hee.

After 15 mins of walking, I finally found the shop. To my horror, it looked very neighbourhood. I mean I expected it to be neighbourhood, but not so ancient looking loh. I started to worry that the cake might not taste nice. Urban's recommendation should not be so bad, or is it? Honestly, there were a lot of customers buying mooncakes when I was there. If their products were bad, it would not have attracted so many people, isn't it... Well, I reckon I wasn't going to walk off without buying anything, so I decided to take a risk.

The cake look very "normal". It frankly speaking doesn't look like it cost $35 dollars. However, the packaging is nice though... Look classy.


Sneak preview of the cake. Yes, below is the lengendary Lychee Martini Cake, which cost $35 dollars per kg. Instead of using lychee as decoration, they used strawberries instead. I wonder why? (Will post later to comment on the taste. Stay tune. )


For those who wish to go there, you might want to know that it is directly opp Blk 451 and is near the Cheng San Market. :) You can call them as well to ask for directions, they, although busy (there are always second line ringing when I called them) erm... still quite friendly.


Read also : http://photosophize.blogspot.com/2007/09/daa-dah-lychee-martini-cake-12.html

No comments: