Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Charcoal Bread !

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Look what I discovered at Johor Bahru weeks ago... Black and soft and smell nice too.

It's charcoal bread! PS: It is not burnt, but normal bread added with bamboo charcoal powder.

I noticed there is this bamboo charcoal craze in Malaysia years ago and now they are putting it into bread. Apparently charcoal, especially the bamboo charcoal, is good for you. They claimed there is a lot of health benefits and healing propertises. From what I know, doctor would prescribe charcoal tablets for you if you had food poisoning as charcoal tablets can neturalised the toxin in your body. There is also ornament charcoal in various design for sale. They claimed that it could soak in harmful UV rays emited by the computer screen and purify surrounding air and water.

Anyway, I found this bread selling at Lavendar, one of the famous bakery franchise in Malaysia, akin to BreadTalk in Singapore. There are 3 thick slices in each packet and cost RM$3.20. After conversion, it cost like 40 cents sing per piece.

I lightly toast it (not that I can tell if I have burned it... ha ha) and stuffed with this leftover sweet potatoes mash that I happened to have. I supposed it should taste nice with Kaya or any fruit jams.

It tasted normal I guess, if I hasn't got this psychological mentality going on. You cannot taste the charcoal and it is not grainy. In fact, I think it got a bit of miky taste to it. Anyway, while writing, I was thinking that it would looked very pretty if we smeared some mashed shrimp meat on it and fry it. Imagine this pinkish and light coral coloured spread on crispy black bread. Decorated with a hint of coriander's green, it would be perfect!

*Snap fingers...

Ok, back to reality, you can read about the wonderful healing propertise of charcoal if you are curious. Well, the next time you ever go JB, get one and try it. Lavendar can be found in City Square. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_charcoal

http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles/bamboo-charcoal-medicinal-benefits.htm

http://www.greenyarnstore.com/benefits.htm

5 comments:

Alejandra Ramos said...

Hi there! This looks so cool. I have a question and maybe you can help me. I’ve just learned about charcoal bread and i would love to try and make some my own since they do not sell it here in New York. I’ve been searching for a recipe, but can’t find any here in NY where I live. Do know of any recipes where you live? Or maybe know someone that I can ask? I know it’s a longshot, but I figured I’d try it out! You can email me at nanditablogs (at) gmail (dot) com

Photosophize [ 影.像.物语 ] said...

Hi Alejandra,

This is a tough question. I do not have the recipe, but can you get charcoal powder in New York? I suggest you search for Green Tea Bread or any other flavoured bread recipe and replace the green tea powder with the same amount of charcoal powder. It might worked.

:)

SH Kwek said...

I found the charcoal bread in Singapore. There is a bakery shop at Block 19 Ghim Moh Road. They may not have it all the time. No they even tried making the multi-grains charcoal bread. I bought 3 buns to try it out. Not bad.

Photosophize [ 影.像.物语 ] said...

Thanks for the info, Kwek! I will probably try it when I am in the area.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

They claimed there is a lot of health benefits and healing propertises. From what I know, doctor would prescribe charcoal tablets for you if you had food poisoning as charcoal tablets can neturalised the toxin in your body. charcoal powder