Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Do women hate beautiful woman?

I was amused reading this article written by a British columnist Samantha Brick titled “Why women hate me for being beautiful”.

In the column, Brick said that her “pleasing appearance” have been a mixed blessing. She shared with examples of how she have had many treats and leeways from men because of her “lovely looks” but at the same time she felt that she was being ostracised by women because of her “beauty”.

In the concluding paragraph, Brick hoped that as she turned 41 year old, the grey hair and wrinkles will quickly appear so that she could blend in the background. And those women who felt “threatened by her looks” will come to accept her for who she is.

“Wow” was my first reaction after reading the column, then it was followed by this thought - “so this is what it takes to be a columnist, hmmm?" (Just joking)

I must say judging from the photos, she doesn't appear to be particularly attractive, looking from an Asian perception. It could be that she is more charming in real person and we couldn’t tell. 

Also from the tone of the article, she had appeared to be very confident of her looks, too confident in fact that it had came off as arrogant. And I thought that she had no more female friends, but yet those friends she consulted seem to share similar sentiments as her that she had been a victim of her looks.

I agreed that good looking people may have more baggages than the average-looking us in proving that they have capabilities as well. 

But why blame all things on looks and not other factors? I thought that was a pretty shallow observation. Why didn’t she and her friend look at things in a more objectively and critically way? Maybe it’s the way she behaves, the way she talks and the way she carries herself that is offending and not looks.

I read an article about body language before and it states that women in general are more sensitive to reading other communication signs. It could be that her body language had offended people even before she speaks.
I find that to be highly plausible after reading her entry, ok column, in greater details.

She wrote that “…but when you have a male boss, it’s a different game: I have written in the Mail on how I have flirted to get ahead at work, something I’m sure many women do.”

Wouldn’t this tell you something about her character? She is quite an opportunist isn’t it? As oppose to her sentiments, I don’t think many woman flirt to get ahead at work. Many women I know get ahead through capabilities and hard work. Then if she is willing to flirt to get ahead at work, wouldn’t she also flirt to get special privileges, recognitions and earn good impressions from men. She must have done so very often that it had become her second nature in front of other women’s spouses as well.

If she still didn’t get it, it is her flirting antics that are putting women off.

I remember reading this quote from twitter and I think it aptly described vain women like her:

Behind all their personal vanity, women themselves always have an impersonal contempt for woman – Fredrich Nietzsche

No comments: